What is laser engraving?
Laser engraving is a highly secure method of monochrome card personalization that etches features into the card surface with a black material. This provides tamper proof and highly durable personalization, making forgery and manipulation virtually impossible. Attempts to alter engraved information will result in visually evident card damage.
What types of laser engraving are possible on a high security ID badge printer?
There are several different types of laser engraving:
- Subsurface laser engraving – markings are below the top surface of the card so you can see them but you can’t feel them.
- Tactile effect laser engraving – marking goes into the card body and also disrupts the top surface and can be felt as a raised area with your fingertip.
- Microtext laser engraving – a small font in which each character is defined at a size of less than 1 point, i.e., a height of less than about 0.3527 mm so as to be readable only with a loupe or magnifying glass.
- Changeable laser image (CLI) – created by engraving two images into the card at 2 different angles. This creates a morphing image on the card when viewed at different angles, similar to a holographic type image. This requires a special card body with a lenticular area on the card to accept the laser engraving at the two different angles. Typically, CLI is tilted on the lateral axis, or short axis of the card.
- Multiple laser image (MLI) – created by engraving two images into the card at 2 different angles. This creates a morphing image on the card when viewed at different angles, similar to a holographic type image. This requires a special card body with a lenticular area on the card to accept the laser engraving at the two different angles. Typically, MLI is tilted on the longitudinal axis, or long axis of the card.
- Ghost image laser engraving – a gray-scaled version of a full color photo image.
Several laser techniques that organizations can use in order to give their cards different security features, depending on their needs, are available for manufacturers such as HID Fargo and Ultra Magicard. Laser etching, embossed raised type, laser monochrome printing, and two-image lenticular printing can all be used to create highly personalized and secure credentials.
AdvantIDge offers a wide variety of security badge solutions including laser engraving for high security applications including HID FARGO HDP8500LE. These high end solutions cannot be sold online and require verification of your organization by our sales team who can be reached at [email protected] or 800-965-5932 for more information and to receive excellent customer service!