Your new ID card printer has just arrived. Great! Now let’s make sure you’re using the right cards for it. The most common ID badge makers are thermal printers with direct-to-card printing technology. Much like the name implies, images are printed directly onto the card’s surface. Uneven cards or cards made from the wrong material risk damaging the print head and even ruining your card images.
What to Use
CR-80 PVC Cards
- Industry standard CR-80 cards are plastic credit card-sized cards perfect for printing personalized ID badges on any ID card printer. Print low cost photo ID cards and loyalty cards with ease.
- These blank ID cards have a high polish finish for photo quality printing, a vision inspected rating, and are shrink wrapped in boxes of 500 count to make sure they stay clean for your use!
- These are the ideal and only cards you want for your direct-to-card printer. The smooth, glossy surface will provide an even and durable finished product.
What NOT to use
- Teslin looks similar to PVC cards, but is actually a synthetic paper material that has been laminated and cut to the size of a credit card. If a Teslin card is passed through a DTC printer, the card surface will melt along with the ribbon.
- This yields a very distorted and unrecognizable image that is heavily saturated with black. That’s not to say it’s appropriate for only printing in black – the card will still melt.
- Matte-finish cards are meant for ink jet printing. This porous material absorbs the ink which makes it permanent, just like printing on paper. Inspecting the card under a microscope reveals the tiny peaks and valleys on the card’s surface.
- If passed through a thermal printer, (used for ID card printing), only the highest peaks touch the ribbon, which leads to a pixelated looking image.
- Think of dipping a sponge in paint and then stamping it onto paper. The imprint isn’t a smooth, solid shape — there are holes in the image.
AdvantIDge offers a wide variety of all of the card printer systems, or other visitor management devices, to fill any of your asset tracking, visitor management, or identification card needs. From card printers and supplies for issuance, through to badge clips and other peripherals to put them into your users hands. With more than 40 years of combined industry experience, we’re ready to help you achieve your identification goals. For specific information please contact our sales department at [email protected]tidge.com or call 800-965-5932 for more information on this update– we provide excellent customer service!